Sunday, May 31, 2009

May 2009

What a month! May was packed with activities. Mike was still looking for work while preparing for his looming over-seas mission trip. He continued to help Matt with his business which was wonderful. He was able to pour his creative business energy into that project while keeping his search going. May was our last full month of pay from his previous employers. We had no idea what God's plan would be for our lives, but after the last few years, we were finally willing to meet the uncertain future with joy and confidence in His Will rather than begging for our own will to be done. I guess what all the teachers say is true: character is grown more in times of trouble or uncertainty... rather than ease and comfort. The furnace was hot but our marriage and family was stronger than ever before. The stress mounted but it never caused us to turn on each other as convenient dumping grounds for our frustrations as it had during our first year together. As we walked through this month and realized these things, it caused us more joy and expressions of tenderness and most importantly; worship and praise of the Most High!

Besides all the craziness, Ryan, Ryleigh, and I still managed to make our Moms+Ministry Group each Wednesday where we continued to grow our friendships. Although Ryan Kerr and Ryan Michael have known each other their entire lives, they never really played with one another outside of Sunday School. After running through the Pecos Park splash pad they shared a water bottle and fan together while patiently posing for a picture.
Ryan was really enjoying his Pre-School at Wee Blessings. He had a sweet crush on his teacher Miss Lindsey which made going to school much easier; although it was still hard for him to grasp leaving Ryleigh and I. So it was wonderful when they threw a Mother's Day Tea where Ryan and I were able to have an entire morning by ourselves. Ryleigh had a Daddy-Date and Ryan and I shared a muffin and some punch. We had a really sweet time. Here we pose for a picture.

Hannah celebrated her birthday during this month... and we all gathered together at Espee Park to love on her and her parents in her honor. I met Matt's Mom and Step-Dad and we discovered a mutual love for gardening and Colorado. It was so fun to get to know them and I look forward to meeting them again. We shared pictures of our gardens (passionate gardeners keep photos apparently ;) and tips on certain successes. It was really fun.

After some awkward moments, Hannah and Ryan were once again side-by-side.

... and Ryan was definitely digging it!

Hannah opened our gifts while I physically held Ryan back. Thankfully, Mikele loved on Ryleigh during this moment... giving my arms/back a break. Jeff and Shelley recline peacefully in the shade behind Matt. They always look so peaceful, happy, and loving. How do they do it? I usually feel crazy! Shelley is my hero! Three boys (including Jeff), pregnant and calm...peaceful... beautiful. Actually, maybe I dont like her... nah... she's too sweet not to love!

When Hannah opened a tea-party tea-set.. it was too much for Ryan to bear. He just had to get in the action... here he is "helping" his friend. Thankfully, Hannah didnt seem to mind. Matt had a good handle on things, anyway!

After Hannah's birthday, we raced back to our neighborhood for Hayden's birthday! Mike was more than happy to jump into the pool with the kids and cool off! Ryleigh took advantage of the pool's picnic table while her Esther looked on.

It was fun to hang with all our neighbors and hear how everyone's lives were going. Even James and Tina joined in the fun! On second thought.. it was only Tina, where was James? Tina is such a kick, who needs James anyway? (j/k James!) But we were really happy to hang with her ;) After last summer, we knew that we would all be in hibernation as soon as the summer was unbearable.. so we soaked in the last enjoyable pre-heat moments as a community before scattering to our own personal AC units until the fall. We would see each other for sure... but not quite in this same context.

Daddy and Ryleigh posing and smiling for the camera, well at least Dad was.. Ryleigh looks confused!

Ryan impressed the girls with his new spiderman muscle floaties. He was loving them! Thanks Gayner for such a fun gift!

After a weekend of parties, we resumed our normal routine. After playing at the park the next Wednesday morning, I joined some friends for lunch. It was such a beautiful blessing to see our children receive their meals and bow their heads in thanksgiving and prayer. Seeing God honored in their hearts melted mine. This job of motherhood is truly filled with amazing blessings and sweet moments. I am thankful that this one was caught on camera.

(Actually there is a reason why I was able to turn my camera on in time... cuz there is a moment missing... What you dont see in this snap shot is the fight that occurred beforehand over who was going to get to pray first! ... which allowed me enough notice to grap my bag and search out the camera in the first place! But why do we need to mention that? Our kids are little angles. Right? Well, we can re-create history and remember that instead, cant we?)

For whatever reason, Ryleigh decided to grow up fast. I still have no idea how she got to be eight months old. Here the Diva sits -on her own- eating by herself... which I know its a normal eighth month activity... I am just amazed that the time flies by that fast. She is captivating for me though. I cant believe God has blessed me with a daughter and a son. I am humbled.

We did get to visit Tucson too! We coordinated a trip while Tasha's sister and niece were in town to visit Beppe Laura. After all these years, it was the first time I got to meet Gloria! I was very excited. We all sat out on the porch with Beppe Laura and watch our children (/grandchildren) play in Nanc and Cal's back yard. Glo's daughter, Kayden, fit right in with Rocky and Ryan. They played so well.

They even jumped on the trampoline well! They took turns and were very careful. They had a wonderful time. But the most interesting moments came when Nancy's turtle meandered out of his hovel to pay us a visit...

I had heard about this turtle for years.. but I was not prepared for what I saw!

Meet their Desert Tortoise. Apparently, he adopted them and has allowed them to live around him. He even allows them to grow grass (which he munches on) and feed him.. as he sees fit. He is very generous. Dont you think so?

Kayden and Roderick were more willing to love on the moving fortress. They were far more interested in him than Ryan was. He stayed back with us girls..... to guard us, of course!

..until the turtle came over to visit the babies, Tasha, and I. It took some deterring to motivate him to take a course away from Ryleigh's toes! But he did finally take the hint. Beppe Laura and her pooch Oh-Baby found the whole event very entertaining from the safety of her hospital bed.

Ryleigh was saved! She was totally nonplussed, such a cool cat.

Gloria and Kayden eventually had to return to Washington. It was hard for everyone to say good-bye. Beppe Laura and her daughter Gloria had always been so close. No-one knew for sure if they would see each other again. Laura's health was deteriating rapidly. It was scary to say good-bye. Gloria entertained thoughts of moving to Tucson, which were encouraged by all. But the reality of the expense and commitment to change was more than Glo could face at such a moment's notice. Glo flew to Washington as her brother Aurther and his wife were flying in Phoenix to pay a visit to their Mom. It was neat to see him again, and it was the first time I got to meet his sweet bride! She was beautiful!

While all this was happening, my parents were having an amazing adventure of their own!

That's Right! They got a personal tour of the most important jet in our American Fleet, thanks to their friend Wes!

They were amazed at all they were able to see and touch that night... they were chocked up by the honor and history of what this plane represents to our country and the role it plays in our nation's security. The were even able to step over the first man's gym bag while he was addressing our state's legislators.

They raced over to our house for dinner, bubbling over with excitement and stories and perspectives. I was so thankful they got to enjoy such a rare experience on the heals of Dad's deployment and Ryan and Ross's returns.

Now for the most infamous picture of this young year....

Ahh.. it looks innocent enough. My nice sweet friends gathered together to celebrate a birthday over dinner. What could go wrong??? Well, lets just say, Kim, Nicole, and I are still getting grief over staying out too late...and it has been a few months.. 'nuff said. ;)

Dada and Ryleigh enjoying a golf game together...

"Whaaa? I thought I was getting ALL of my Daddy's attention.. whats golf?" Oh, baby, you will soon find out. You will know it personally very soon...

May also ushered in our last Mom's+Ministry Bible Study before Summer break. Karen Holt and her youngest son Gordon were so sweet to help the mothers of younger children by watching them so we could worship together. It was the first time that I left Ryleigh with someone other than family, so I checked on my kiddos more than a few times. I was so impressed with my son this morning...

... he was so sensitive to his sister's vulnerable situation. He hovered around her, protecting her, guarding her. Karen told me to go get my camera.. this was too precious a moment to miss.. she was right. Unfortunately, the pictures do not do the moment justice and as soon as I was around, Ryan grew embarrassed and sullen. But, nevertheless, the photos still show how caring he was over his sister. I am so impressed with his little heart. Ryleigh loved his attention too.

Towards the end of the month, the Pixler family gathered together to celebrate Roderick and Nathan's Birthdays. We all met at the Biltmore Pixler's abode for cake and fellowship...

...and wrestling!!!

.... and peek-a-boo!!!

and baby smiles!!

After we had a wonderful time celebrating with Uncle Scott and Aunt Diana's, we returned to our house for the night where we had another special gift for Rocky.

Ryan was so excited to give it to him. He loved his Leap Frog Reading Pen and wanted Roderick to love his too. Mom, Dad, Mike, Ryan, and I were all pleased with Roderick's reaction. It made it a joy for all of us to give this big gift.

The gift was so exciting to Rocky, that he asked his Daddy to get it out of the childproof-adult-proof packaging. (Those boxes can be SO frustrating!) Uncle Ryan did his best to help. But he did require the help of HIS father. Papa Reid was more than happy to provide his trusty pocket knife for the job.

Meanwhile, Tasha and I played on the floor with our four kids.

Ryleigh and Avery... love those baby rolls!

Tasha and Avery --- Girl Pixlers...

Ryan Christopher and Roderick---Boy Pixlers...

Equal a beautiful family!

Wow.. what sweet moments.. has anyone seen Ryleigh? Where did she go?

Ahhh... Ms Hutta?

Yes, Baby Girl.. I am talking to you.

Whatchadoin?

Well, with a smile like that, I guess you can do anything you would like!

So, the most amazing part of the month was Ryan's Pre-school Graduation. I was unprepared for how emotional this event was going to be.

I was fine.. and thought nothing of it (I mean come-on! He still had to do another year of pre-school before kindergarten anyway.. this was just a sweet pageant of sorts, right?)

But then there is my baby walking down the aisle of the church, following directions, and looking so big! And I remembered doing the same thing almost thirty years ago at Lollipops Preschool! I remember how my Mom looked at me then and how excited I was to see the emotion in her eyes. My son is old enough to start remembering shadowy memories too! I was my Mom in a different year and location.. and it all caught in my throat... all the beauty and humbling weight of what was happening. It felt huge. I felt silly for acting like it was all just routine. This was a big deal.

We all sat in the back with Ryleigh to celebrate Ryan's accomplishments. Aunt Patti was able to join us along with Pop-pop and Gma Dor. Mike was so happy to have his whole family surrounding him; celebrating his son. It was a great family moment.

The whole pre-school lined up on the stage to sing us some songs. They did such a sweet job and signed the songs together. But Ryan wouldnt even try.

Gma Dor thought it was because he was shy and overwhelmed being in front of everyone. I give her the benefit of the doubt.. but I knew better. Ryan wasnt shy. Nope.. he was stubborn. He didnt want to do what everyone else was doing. He was independent. He was his own man. (Where does such self-righteous pride come from??? Let me put it this way, I recognize it all too well.) But okay, how do I know? I smiled.. just wait... just wait.. he will show his hand...

and there it is! As everyone filed off the stage to their seats in an orderly fashion.. Ryan lingered.. even had a little follower. I was ready with the camera. I knew it was coming. First the smile to his audience... a shy look to his distracted teachers... and then his leg starts to lift...

... and the acrobatic show began! He did every Sportacus move he knew and every Holy Yoga Position he ever saw (which was only once.. man they remember everything!) until he was reigned in by an alerted teacher's aide. Yup! He wasnt shy. He wanted all the attention to himself!

He was really bummed to me made to sit respectively in a chair.

Eventually, he walked across the stage and shook Miss Lindsey and Miss Debby's hands and then walked into Miss Jen's congratulating arms. Another step towards his future completed. Wow.

No comments: